EAST BAY OAKLAND CHAPTER FY2018
YEAR END REPORT
To: WEST REGION President Patrick Comerford and
Secretary Sheryl Dodd-Hansen
FROM: Mike Hilliard, CSI…President. and
Wally Holmen, FCSI, CDT, Emeritus West Region Director
Subject: Chapter Report for 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018 **
1. MEMBERSHIP: ……..Brenda Hunsinger,Chair
Emeritus: 3 + Retired: 3 + Emerging Professional: 3 +
Professional: 68 + Student: 14 =
Total: 91 as of JUNE 2018 **
Full and partial funding for CONSTRUCT, CSI Academies, and Region Conference: 2 attended CONSTRUCT in Providence, RI, 4 attended Bi-Region Conference in Alaska.
2. CHAPTER MEETINGS ……Wally Holmen, Programs Chair - Monthly Chapter Meetings are held the third Tuesday evening of the month at Scotts Seafood Restaurant, Jack London Square, Oakland, unless otherwise noted. 5:45 pm Networking & Tabletops; 6:30 pm Dinner; 7:15 pm Program. Attendance is usually around 20-30 and as noted. For FY18 there is no dinner charge for EBO members. Chapter Board meetings are held prior to Chapter meetings whenever possible.
19 SEP 2017 “BUILDINGS & ECCENTRICS OF THE EAST BAY” – RICHARD SCHWARTZ, JOINT MEETING W/OHA (WALLY, host) 52 attendees
22 SEP 2017 27th ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT – CHUCK CORICA GC – ALAMEDA [FRIDAY] “Shotgun” start 1pm; including LUNCH, prizes 32
17 OCT 2017 5:30 pm TOUR – BELMONT VILLAGE SR. HOUSING – SAN PABLO AVE. ALBANY [HKIT host] 12
21 NOV 2017 “ART IN ARCHITECTURE” – Gordon Huether, Glass Artist and Sculptor 28
17 NOV 2017 FRIDAY SEMINAR: “CONCRETE FAILURES” and solutions – Co-sponsor EBAIA —8am -1 pm (4 LUs) [Refer to 7. EDUCATION] 35 attendees / 8 tables
19 DEC 2017 HOLIDAY PARTY & SILENT AUCTION [$300 donation to REBUILDING TOGETHER] 23
16 JAN 2018 “HORIZONTAL SLIDING FIRE DOORS & EGRESS” – Cheryl Domnitch, PE Won-Door Corp. 24
20 FEB 2018 “BRIDGE YARD SEISMIC RENOVATION PROJECT” – Greg Baker, Project Architect HNTB 210 BURMA ROAD -West Oakland [with ASCE] 44
20 MAR 2018 “VALUE ENGINEERED WATERPROOFING ERRORS”- Lonnie Haughton, MCP, LEED AP, CDT; a Principal Codes Consultant with Richard Avelar & Assoc. [Dan, host] 63
17 APR 2018 “DRIVE FOR 35 EUI PERFORMANCE” – Robert Bolin, PE, LEED FELLOW, ASHRAE HBDP, SeniorPrincipal Syska Hennessy Group 25
20 APR 2018 FRIDAY SYMPOSIUM: DISASTERS Case Studies…Co-sponsors EBAIA & RCI…8 am-3:30 pm including C/BKFST & LUNCH at EBAIA…(6 LUs)
111 attendees / 10 Tabletops [Refer to 7. EDUCATION]
15 MAY 2018 5:30 pm BRIDGE YARD & GATEWAY PARK TOUR: 210 BURMA DRIVE, OAKLAND refer to program 20 FEB above Sarah Kuehl, Landscpe Architect 32
4-5 MAY 2018 WxNW REGION CONFERENCE – GIRDWOOD, ALASKA…Alyeska Resort 4
19 JUN 2018 ANNUAL MEETING – AWARDS & PRODUCT SHOW 6 Tables /25 attendees/15 Awards
3. SPECIAL EVENTS 27h ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT Joel Agnello & Brenda Hunsinger Co-Chairs 18 Sept 2017 CHUCK CORICA GC ALAMEDA 18 SEP 2015 Attendance of 35, 10 Sponsors
4. COMMUNICATIONS: Gabe Gonzales Webmaster
Website csieastbay.org updated monthly or sooner Advertising Rates: web only or included in sponsorships .
Meeting announcements are E-mailed to East bay Oakland Chapter and 3 surrounding Area Chapters.
5. CERTIFICATION: Dan Galvez, Certification Chair Organized study groups. Mentoring for 2 CDT students.
6. ACADEMIC LIASON- Wally Holmen, Chair
The East Bay Oakland Chapter established contact and dialogue with three local Community Colleges. Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill; Laney College, Oakland; Cal State East Bay-Hayward and UC Berkeley-College of Engineering (ASC Team).
7. EDUCATION; Bob Hemphill, Fred King, Education Co-Chairs
17 NOVEMBER 2017 FRIDAY SEMINAR –= CONCRETE FAILURES Presenters; Dr. Carlos Cruz, Dr. Fari Barzeger, Christine Diosdado, Jose Mendoza. Co- Sponsor- EBAIA 7:30 am-12:30 pm (4 LUs) 35 attendees + 8 tables
20 APR 2018 FRIDAY SYMPOSIUM: DISASTERS Case Studies Presenters- Joe Pinon, Chris Nelson, Dean Larsen, Mike Hilliard, Gary Weaver, Phil Dregger. Co-sponsors EBAIA & RCI…8 am-4:30 pm including C/BKFST & LUNCH at EBAIA…(6 LUs) 111 attendees + 10 Table tops
8. AWARDS: Mary Nowee, Awards Chair, assisted by Wally Holmen. 15 certificates and gifts were presented at the June Chapter installation of Officers & Annual Membership Meeting. Six tables displayed manufacturers products.
9. WEST REGION DIRECTOR Wally Holmen attended Mid-year Board meeting in Walnut Creek and May Board in Alaska.
Full membership meetings are not held in July and August. Only Board meets in the summer. 30*new members recruited. Membership and meeting attendance increased; the Chapter has increased reserves.